This e-Master Class builds on the ‘How to start a podcast’ course which covers the essential mix of digital and audio skills needed to begin podcasting.
Over ten days, this advanced level e-Master Class combines teaching, live keynotes and one-to-one coaching to develop participants’ skills in three core areas:
Storytelling - 2nd March 2021:
- Storytelling looks at how a podcaster can craft a compelling narrative using a combination of words and sounds.
- Keynote by Franziska Dorau, ORF: Franziska, an alumnus of the EBU Academy Master School on Radio Documentaries, will share her key learning on audio storytelling and how to translate them into podcasting
- Keynote by Leslie Rosin, commissioning editor for the Radio Documentary Department at WDR.
Sound Design - 4th March 2021:
- Sound design explores how to create engaging soundscapes to transport the listener to other worlds.
- Keynote speaker tbc
Community Building - 9th March 2021:
- Community building discusses techniques to strengthen bonds between podcast fans, bringing them closer and creating opportunities for interaction and co-creation.
- Keynote by Anna Doble, Head of Digital for BBC World Service (English). Anna will share her experiences on community building.
Show & Tell - 12th March 2021:
- Participants come together one last time to discuss their podcast creations with peers and trainers.
As part of the course, participants will create a podcast using the skills they have learned in the three core areas above.
Who it is for:
- Existing podcast editors, producers and presenters
- Radio editors, presenters and producers with a good understanding of podcasting
- Participants will be encouraged to share examples of their podcast with the Faculty members prior to the start of the course.
Editorial: Balancing journalism with creativity and protecting PSM values
Storytelling: Building presenter roles and storyboarding your podcast; using sound design to create new worlds
Strategy: Where storytelling and strategy collide - exploring vertical and horizontal storytelling
Audience: How to build a podcast community and collaborate with others
Social: Using social media to connect and open discussions with your community.
- 4 online classes; (3 x 2.5 hours each and 1 x 2 hours)
- One to one coaching: one 30-min session to be arranged between faculty and participants
- Start date: Tuesday 2 March 2021
- End date: Friday 12 March 2021