In this Master Class, you will learn to develop choice-based stories and design simple news games. To do so, you will be using Twine, an open-source interactive storytelling tool that is easy to use and which provides a simple introduction to coding. Through various examples you will also become familiar with the mechanics and psychology of games.
By offering multiple viewpoints and additional data, online interactivity gives audiences an opportunity to engage further with news.
Who it's for
- News producers
No prior knowledge of coding required
SKILLS ACQUIRED DURING THIS MASTER CLASS
- Coding: Learn the basics of coding with Twine
- Storytelling: Understand how to use game mechanics in storytelling
- Innovation: Learn how to foster game ideas and develop interactive news stories
- Audience: Offer new ways for your audiences to engage with News
What you'll learn
- How to prototype and design simple "choice-based" stories
- How to efficiently use Twine
- Psychology of gaming, basic game mechanics and interactive narratives
Day 1: from 13:00 to 18:00
Day 2: from 9:00 to 13:00
- Module 1
- What are interactive stories and simple games?
- Why PSM need to develop new forms of narrative?
- Module 2: Introduction to Twine and short exercises
- Workshop: How to create and integrate interactive stories and simple games as part of your news offering – The example of YLE
- Team structure
- Process at YLE News
- Challenges and opportunities
- Return on investment
- Workshop: Participants continue working on their project with Twine
- Module 3: Theoretical background – the psychology of game design
- Module 4: Return on investment
Le Grand-Saconnex, Geneva
20 Sep 2018
- 1st participant: EUR 750
- 2nd participant from same company (25% discount): EUR 562.50 per person
- Additional participants from same company (50% discount): EUR 375 per person
The price includes tuition, course materials, two lunches and coffee breaks. It does not include travel or hotel costs.
Payment and cancellation policy
EBU Academy do not make hotel reservations. However, we have negotiated competitive rates with some of the hotels near the venue and the city centre. Please contact the hotel of your choice directly.
Hotels offering special rates for the EBU/Eurovision (pdf)
Business Development Manager