Social media has changed the way sport stars, clubs, fans and audiences are interacting with each other. Public Service Media have to be creative to stay in the race in an environment where social platforms keep changing their algorithms, functionalities, and partnership frameworks.
Organised in collaboration with BBC Sport, this Master Class will analyse the criteria needed to make a PSM sport presence relevant on social platforms. Keeping these criteria in mind, it will draw from the lessons learned after the Winter Olympics and the World Cup and look at new formats, offering strategies and partnerships that have been used to engage with fans and audiences.
Participants will be able to tour BBC Sport's headquarters at Media City and see some of the innovative technologies being used to cover sports.
Who it's for
Digital sports managers, editors, producers, journalists
Social and community managers
SKILLS ACQUIRED DURING THIS MASTER CLASS
- Audience: Understanding how sports fans are accessing social content
- Digital Newsgathering: Maximize the potential of user generated content
- Social: How to develop debate and moderation best practice
- Strategy: How to maximize rights and develop partnerships with social platforms
Success criteria for a strong social media sport presence
Learn BBC Sport's successful strategy following the major shift in Facebook's algorithm
Explore the core elements of an engaging Instagram sports Story
- Explore the process of partnering with Snapchat on a large event
Discover how SVT in Sweden used social media to spark a national sports debate
Be inspired by examples of engaging social media content from the Winter Olympics and World Cup
Day 1: from 13:00 – 18:00
Day 2: from 09:00 -13:00
Not mandatory: smartphone, tablet laptop with access to social media platforms
BBC Media City, Manchester
Salford M50 2BH
18 Sep 2018
- 1st participant: EUR 750
- 2nd participant from the same company: EUR 562.50 (25% discount)
- Additional participant from the same company: EUR 375 (50% discount)
The price include tuition, course materials and coffee breaks. It does not include any other meals, travel or hotel costs.
Payment and cancellation policy
Participants are responsible for their own accommodation during the course.
We recommend your the following hotels located at Media City, within walking distance of the BBC:
Partners and Sponsors
Business Development Manager