Gender Equality Steering Group
Head of Corporate Development and Strategic Initiatives
+41 22 717 2230
Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
+41 22 717 28 53
The EBU Gender Equality Steering Group was formed in 2019 under the sponsorship of EBU's president and a mandate from the Executive Board to develop a thought leadership programme.
Group members contribute with their experience and know-how to identify and illustrate the essential policies necessary to drive organizations towards a truly gender-equal culture and better representation of women in public service media (PSM) content. These were illustrated in several EBU and industry panels and resulted in the publication of the 'All Things Being Equal' report in December 2019.
In 2021, the group's priorities are:
- Women's representation on-screen and on-air
- Women's representation in (PSM) boards.
Since 2013, the EBU has been working with a group of Women in Media providing a forum to meet, exchange and support women’s experiences, opportunities and influence in the media industry. This work is now firmly incorporated in the Gender Equality Steering Group.
Gender Equality is one of the pillars of EBU’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategic initiative.
Please reach out to the group’s EBU contacts if you wish to join the network or be informed of its activities.
Past events and reports:
- March 2021: Gender Equality in Public Service Media — report on off-screen and on-screen gender equality
- February 2021: Women in Music — report on the gender gaps in the music industry
- February 2021: Reimagining Sport: Pathways to gender-balanced media coverage — women in sport handbook
- May 2020: The gender challenge: how media needs to get to all things being equal — Euractiv op-ed
- May 2020: Gender Equality Webinar
- December 2019: All Things Being Equal report — gender equality guidelines from public service media
- June 2019: Gender Equality: A Business and Media Imperative — panel at the EBU 81st General Assembly (Members only)
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2013)1 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on gender equality and media adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 10 July 2013
- Charter for equal opportunities for women in broadcasting adopted on the occasion of the EBU/European Commission conference in London, 5 May 1995 (.pdf)
- Council conclusions - "Advancing Women’s Roles as Decision-makers in the Media" from the Council of the European Union (.pdf)
- "Framework of Actions on Gender Equality", Executive Summary from the EU Audiovisual Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee (.pdf)
- "Gender Equality in the EU Audiovisual Sector", Brochure from the EU Audiovisual Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee (pdf)
Toolkit and Indicators:
- "Gender-sensitive indicators for media: Framework of indicators to gauge gender sensitivity in media operations and content" from UNESCO
- "FIA Charter: For Gender Equality and Equal Opportunities" from the International Federation of Actors (.pdf)
- "Handbook of Good Practices to Combat Gender Stereotypes and Promote Equal Opportunities in Film, Television and Theatre in Europe" from the International Federation of Actors (.pdf)
Tinatin Berdzenishvili, GPB